Graphic Design Internship
The City of Urbandale is seeking a highly-motivated individual for a Fall/Winter 2022 internship in the Marketing & Communications Department. Urbandale is a growing suburban community of more than 45,000 people on the northwest side of the Des Moines Metro. The Graphic Design Intern is responsible for assisting the Marketing & Communications Department in increasing brand awareness through development of compelling content, graphics, and marketing opportunities. Not only does this role require a creative and self-motivated individual, but the desired candidate for this internship will make substantial contributions to their professional portfolio while successfully implementing the City’s marketing and communications strategies and tactics.
The anticipated length of the internship runs from approximately October 2022 through December 2022. This internship has the opportunity to be extended into the Spring/Summer 2023 semesters. The intern will have the opportunity to work up to 40 hours per week, with regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The intern will be expected to work 10-20 hours per week. Sometimes, although rarely, the intern may be required to work nights/weekend hours.Routine Job Duties/Responsibilities
Graphic Design (50%): Contribute to strategic marketing efforts to increase awareness of the City of Urbandale among residents and the Des Moines metropolitan community.
- Produce publications and materials (using the Adobe Creative Suite) that promote the Urbandale brand, programs, services, events, and resources.
- Create e-newsletters for distribution to internal and external audiences.
- Research and recommend design projects to be undertaken, program collateral, and best practices.
- Assist in development and management of an editorial calendar.
Digital Media (20%): Coordinate social media and marketing efforts.
- Design content for social media based on current trends and best practices.
- Deliver the content via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other digital platforms.
- Create and disseminate engaging photo and video content, infographs, and stories.
- Respond to/assist with questions submitted to the city via social media.
- Update and add photos to City’s database to be used for promotional materials.
Website Administration (20%):
- Create user-friendly content, design intuitive navigation, and monitor usage of the departmental website.
- Update website.
- Promote audience engagement through appealing graphics, videos, and other dynamic online resources.
- Research elements of effective websites and make updates to city web pages.
Government Relations (10%):
- Collaborate with Economic Development Department staff, Parks & Recreation Department staff, and City Administration team to effectively promote Urbandale.
- Participate in staff meetings, team projects, and other planning activities.
- Assist with event/meeting planning and coordination, as needed.
- This internship is open to current undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a degree in design, marketing, communications, visual art, or related field. Recent college graduates (within 12 months of graduation date) will also be considered.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license required
- Knowledge of social networking sites.
- Preferred software knowledge: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
- Strong proofreading, editing, organizational, verbal, and writing skills.
- Solid understanding of the internet and social media marketing best practices.
- Fearless attitude towards technology and a willingness to learn.
- Strong time management skills.
- Proactive mindset and ability to think and work creatively and collaboratively.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Knowledge and experience with DSLR or iPhone photography/videography.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of Urbandale’s city services.
There is one (1) opening available for the Fall/Winter 2022 Internship.
Please submit a portfolio of past work with your application. If you are unable to attach the portfolio to the application please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the close of the job posting on August 31, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Applicants selected to advance in the process will be invited to participate in the interview process following the close of the job posting.
For more information, please contact Derek Zarn at the City of Urbandale, 3600 86th Street, Urbandale, IA 50322 (515) 331-6871 or email@example.com
Post-offer/pre-employment background check/motor vehicle report and drug screen are required. The City of Urbandale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons with disabilities must submit requests for ADA accommodations to the Human Resources Department in writing, prior to the application deadline.
Position Type: Internship
Salary Range: $30,000-$50,000