Senior Recreation Center Internship
Are you in a recreation, sports management, or related field degree program? Would you like to get on-the-job training with planning and facilitating recreation programming for Adults 55+? The City of Urbandale is looking for an energic and highly motivated individual to join our Recreation team at our Senior Recreation Center for the Winter/Spring Semester 2023.
Urbandale is a progressive and growing community of over 45,000 people. It is a suburb of Des Moines, located on northwest side, and is nestled between West Des Moines, Clive and Johnston. We believe an internship should be a well-rounded, comprehensive experience that gives the student an opportunity to learn about several aspects of the recreation/leisure services for 55+ adults. We understand that the intern must complete Minimum of 20 hours/week for 10-14 weeks (or equivalent).
Internship length is approximately January 2023 - April 2023.
- Develop and implement a special project from beginning to end using all elements of program planning to successfully complete the project.
- Assist as needed in the office developing phone etiquette, filing, record keeping and answering customer inquiries.
- Assist with public relations and promotions of department programs and activities including press releases, coordinating media coverage, developing customer friendly operating procedures, designing program advertising and elements of program marketing.
- Attend board meetings, staff meetings, and council meetings.
- Assist with recreation programs (development, coordination, scheduling, supervision, and customer satisfaction.) Programming focuses on senior (55+) activities and special events.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Open to students pursuing a degree in recreation, leisure services, sports management, event management, public administrative, business administrative or related field
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong customer service skills. Must be able to communicate with program participants/the public, program instructors/assistants, and supervisory staff.
- Have some knowledge of recreation/leisure services
- Be self-motivated, punctual, and responsible.
- Knowledge of recreation programming and facility operations
There is one (1) opening available for the Winter/Spring 2023 internship. Applicants selected will be invited to participate in the oral interview process. Interviews will be held middle of October. Internship would run approximately January, 2023 to the Middle of April, 2023.
Post-offer/pre-employment background / motor vehicle report check and drug test are required.
The City of Urbandale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons with disabilities must submit
requests for ADA accommodations to the Human Resources Department, in writing, prior to the
Position Type: Part-Time,Internship
Salary Range: $30,000-$50,000,0-$29,999