Under the general direction of the Sergeant/Lieutenant, performs law enforcement and crime prevention services for the safety and protection of life and property in the Urbandale community. Preserves peace, order, safety, problem resolution and educates the Urbandale community. Also performs investigative work in preparation for arrests and/or criminal prosecution.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours in an accredited college or university in diversified academic subjects. Not to be included are technical or occupation courses; however, technical or community college credits will be considered if credits are in criminal justice, liberal arts, or a closely related field.
• 3 years of active military duty will substitute for the education requirement.
• Twenty-one years of age on or before date of written entrance examination. Citizen of the United States at the time of application. No felony convictions or convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude.
• Uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20.
• Certification as an Iowa Police Officer within twelve months of employment
• NCIC Certification within twelve months of employment
• CPR/First Aid/AED certifications within twelve months of employment
• Valid Iowa Drivers' License
• Ability to meet all physical standards for the job as specified by the Police Retirement System
• Ability to perform physical functions of the job while wearing personal protective equipment.
• Positions filled within the Urbandale Police Department require employees to reside within a 50 mile radius of the police department.
*For additional information on becoming a Police Officer, please visit the Urbandale Police Department's Careers website at: https://www.urbandale.org/1008/Careers---Now-Hiring
The City of Urbandale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons with disabilities must submit requests for ADA accommodations to the Human Resources Department, in writing, prior to the application deadline.
*To view the complete posting, and to apply online, please go to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/urbandale
Position Type: Full-Time